Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sealed with a K.I.S.S.

To me, simple doesn’t imply easy, but instead connotes effective – meaning that it focuses on what works and gets the point across.

Simple can sometimes be interpreted as “dumb”.  My IQ says I’m above average or better.  However, I have been known to do some pretty less than intelligent things.  Like the time I decided to get ferrets – one docile; one a trouble maker who, of course, corrupted the mind of the other one.  What exactly was I thinking or maybe that’s it…I wasn’t thinking.  I was in love.


Simple is uncomplicated.  Well that certainly doesn’t describe my life at all.  With the numerous job titles and the multiple moves, I’m never in one place long enough to unpack, nonetheless actually get organized. (I’ve moved 5x in 8 years; sometimes not more than 10 miles away, but we’ll save that for a later post)  I’ve done every job along a continuum or spectrum with regards to my occupational positions.  From being a corporate executive at one of the largest pharmaceutical companies to being a professional grocery bagger – OK, actually it was a professional Personal Shopper/Clerk for an online home delivery department of a food chain, and it was in a warehouse doing heavy manual labor, not at the end of the grocery checkout – not that I am minimizing either job.  I’ve been a Certified Personal Trainer, too, a job close to my heart and my personality.


I have tried to make my life simple but compounded with multiple medical diagnoses, it has become anything but.  That’s when I knew I needed professional help.  I found something that once worked well and kept it simply at that.  I am speaking about Dialectical Behavior Therapy.  I included a link about it here.  And I even started a blog about it.  It has helped streamline my thinking and focuses on skills I could use, and practice in my daily life.

The one skill in particular in the Core Mindfulness domain is:  Effectiveness.  Focusing on what works and not getting bogged down in the details and editing.

Many English language teachers say the best way to write is to brainstorm without any editing or censoring – just write.  Perhaps this sounds familiar.  It supports the premise above.

So if all my ‘t’s are not crossed and 'i’s dotted and my metaphors are mixed, that’s OK as long as I’ve gotten my point across.

Simply,

Donna

2 comments:

  1. Simple is so hard to achieve. But it sounds like you're trying. Filling life with things you love and dealing with the hardships that come your way can complicate things. But you seem to have a great attitude about it!

    I couldn't choose a word from the Writer's Workshop this week:
    http://doithalfway.wordpress.com/2010/12/09/simple-angsty-excruciating-enchanted-bold/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple is not always right for me. Sometimes I have to think about the little complications to really make the right decision for me.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

 

Balancing Act | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates