with my thanks for the outlet in which to express myself...
Writing Prompt #3:
Why I'm not inviting my mother to read my blog...
I could list the obvious
such as she is deceased and leave it at that, but that, would only be a
snapshot, not the whole picture. As I
look at hers, she is watching over me at all times. I don’t have to invite her because the invitation is always open.
She is with me 24/7 and already knows everything about me, therefore; I
am not inviting her to read my blog … I am welcoming
her with open arms and a warm heart. She
always knew what I was thinking without my saying it.
…When I cried, she shed
tears.
We had the kind of
relationship that blossomed out of friendship.
She was one of my best friends. I’m welcoming Mom to read my blog because she
was an avid reader and passed her passion on to the next generation. My sister is a children’s librarian, after
all! She read to my identical twin
sister and me many summer nights outside.
Our brick porch, you might say, was magically converted into a sofa as
her voice mirrored the tone of each character. She painted pictures in my head as I leaned
back, admiring the dusk and seeing the scenes before me in the stars.
…When she read, I was
mesmerized.
Her love of language
echoed not only from her lips but from her heart. Many times, she and my Dad would take the two
of us on educational trips for our Independent Study reports for the Talented
and Academically Gifted program. We went
to fish hatcheries, on a fossil hunt, to tap maple trees, to visit battle
reenactments, to the Amish country, to the Delaware Water Gap, to name just a
few. It was these trips and the ensuing
reports where she had the innate talent to transfer my stammering thoughts into
beautiful words of prose.
…When she taught, I
learned a lot.
I’m not inviting my mother
to read my blog because, in a sense, she
is actually the author.

No comments:
Post a Comment