Intrigued by many meanings the title of this blog post may have? Me, too! It really got me thinking.
To begin with, I was thinking of the relationships I have had in my life that have influenced my character, my personality, and my identity so much. First and foremost would be my identity of an identical twin, a role I have had since before birth - literally- since conception. Being a twin was how I identified myself. The possibility of ever being separate never entered my mind until many, many years later. Even after heading to different colleges and then leading disparate lives, I always used the pronoun "We" when I was talking about myself. People who didn't know my genetic history probably thought I had Multiple Personality Disorder. Truth is, I will always be happily tied to my sister long after the umbilical cord was cut.
Secondly, the title invokes an image of a 'reunion'. It speaks to the joy bought into my life by having the pleasure of being reunited with someone after they have left my life. This can be friends that have moved away, relatives only seen at weddings and funerals, or old acquaintances that fate or happenstance has seemed to have an undisclosed plan to reunite. It affords me the opportunity of finding out who they are again as if it was the first time meeting them. It also provides a fresh start for impressions left awry. Forgiveness and a second chance, I view, as a gift of the present moment.
Additionally, 'It's New to Me...Again!', reminds me of the world's ability to reread the same book twice, see the same television sitcom and still be surprised by the plot and by the ending, and to savor the taste of a food tried long ago but forgotten. One often complains about memory failing due to medication, exhaustion, age or all the above. However, something forgotten, personally is not a detriment but instead, allows me the sentiment of a new experience. I wouldn't swap it for the world. In conclusion, I am entirely grateful for everything that is remembered and even more appreciative of everything that was recalled.
My love to everyone,
Donna
Oh how sweet. It's muy dificil type with tears welling in your eyes. You are an awesome author (perhaps it's the librarian part of your identical genes that I'm missing). Lots of love.
ReplyDeleteDawn