Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Best of Both Worlds

This post was inspired as part of Mama Kat's Writer's WorkshopMama's Losin' It
with my thanks for providing an outlet in which to express myself!


3.) If you had made a career out of whatever you were passionate about when you were ten...what would you be doing?


Like many other girls my age, I was passionate about teaching when I was ten.  I had been a lifelong learner, after all.  It seemed like the only natural progression.  Basically, it was all I knew.  I was selected that year for the Talented and Academically Gifted (TAG) Program.  I actually went on to graduate as valedictorian of my high school twenty years ago this coming June.

I remember playing school for hours on end with my identical twin sister.  We had library books, attendance sheets, demerit slips, and of course, bathroom passes.  The two of us would play for hours on end.  We never tired of the same routine.  This was lucky for my parents, since we amused ourselves and didn’t require any expensive toys.

We had one woman who refused to be called a “teacher” but instead preferred to be called a “facilitator”.  Being ten, I wasn’t sure what that meant.  Now I know that she really wanted to help us help ourselves.

And in that sense, I did not want to be a teacher anymore.  I wanted to be a facilitator.  This new nomenclature followed the same storyline as the proverb “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.”

I actually did go on to become an instructor, a trainer, and an adjunct professor.

The only other thing most girls this age wanted was to follow in their mother’s footsteps.  I did both.  Mom graduated with an undergraduate degree in accounting.  I did too.  I also went on to get my Master’s in Business Administration and pass the Certified Public Accountant Exam. 

You see, I combined both of these objectives. 
I became an adjunct professor teaching Managerial Accounting.

My bio on a creative writing site asked me to describe the story of my life.  Part of it reads:  Passion. Learning One New Thing Each Day (and sharing it with others). Desire to do my best not be the best.

This is my best attempt at trying to share something with you.

5 comments:

  1. That is SO COOL. So many people, for whatever reaon never fufill their dreams for what they want to be. And you did! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter played school constantly as a child and today she is a high school math teacher. So, sometimes your childhood dreams do come true!

    Hey I like your motto - Desire to do my best not be the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! When I was a kid, I always said I wanted to be a teacher... then I taught high school English for one semester and that was long enough for me to realize that wasn't the job for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. During summer vacation I used to play school all the time. I had a blackboard and my parents would buy me workbooks. I had three students in my class, as I remember: Teddy, koala bear, and Betty Boop. Did you know that Teddy has a sixth grade education?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your philosophy of desiring to do my best, not be the best. That takes off a lot of pressure and keeps us from comparing ourselves to others. That's interesting that you actually followed through on what you wanted to be at age 10. Good for you.

    Stopping by from writer's workshop. Here's a link to mine: http://zemeks.blogspot.com/2010/11/time-i-feared-for-gerards-safety.html

    ReplyDelete

Followers

 

Balancing Act | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates