Sunday, July 31, 2011

I Don't Want to Run a Marathon



First one to the finish line I don’t have to be

Leader of the pack’s not for me

Setting a world record, I don’t foresee

Just taking first steps would make me happy


Currently homebound

Hoping to just get around

No squeaky walker wheels’ sound

My freedom finally found


Guinness not a necessary call

Settle on ability to walk and not fall

Just a short stroll, starting small

Not too much to ask, after all


I pray every night for mobility to gain

From durable medical equipment to refrain

The limitations slowly driving me insane

Don’t need the express, can take local lane


When race day comes, participant, no, bystander, yes

Please God this is my last request

Time is of the essence, continue my quest

Step up to the plate, unassisted, please bless


I don’t want to run a marathon

Your shoulder, this plea, rests upon

If only could ambulate, greatest gift would’ve won

Please Father, Holy Ghost, and Son


Ticker tape parade I would throw

Do a few chores, get some grease on elbow

Sparklers I’d light, an awesome glow

Wish fulfilled, delight, would please me so

written by: Donna L. Haring for Grandma, in her voice, on 7/29/2011, as she lay down for a fifteen minute nap.  She continues to tell me on a daily basis: "I don't want to run a marathon." so I wrote this for her.  She is and always will be my inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

 

Balancing Act | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates