Saturday, January 8, 2011

Steering Column

An outlet to discharge my racing mind. A way to channel my compulsion: Six Word Saturday sponsored by Showmyface.com.  Describe your life in six words.  Great idea and great fun, too.  Captured my attention. Spans all bridges of thought.


Here goes my attempt:


“Nimbly navigated booby traps. Unobserved obvious.”--

Good at accomplishing difficult things. Tripped up by the simple.

For example, answered question regarding proper lifting technique at Target Team Huddle; however, couldn’t comprehend where, or even if, we had Photo Services although someone in my orientation was assigned there and I had just come from Guest Services where Photo is located directly adjacent to it, perhaps even within its own confines.

Can get an A+ in college Calculus while sleeping through entire course sitting directly in front of the professor, but fail to memorize the words to my favorite song or the title characters in my favorite sitcom.

Seldom see what is right in front of me yet can frequently forecast future.  In tune with my intuition such as Dad’s hearing aid difficulties and others emotions but am almost oblivious to the details of my surroundings such as the color of the paint on the walls or the patterns on the sofa and rugs.

Couldn’t remember the physical address of my doctor’s appointment, despite having been there before though could link my reactions to their triggers.  I have great insight but poor eyesight, literally and figuratively.

That’s where I come back and implement my Dialectical Behavior Therapy toolkit.  I call upon the concept of Radical Acceptance.  I can feel and experience two opposite emotions or ideas at the same time, one not negating or superseding the other.  And, I can be OK with that.  I can adopt the nonjudgmental stance and not label myself good or bad, positively or negatively.  I can identify the emotion, situation, response, or reaction and recognize it without placing it in a preconceived category.

While practicing mindfulness, I can observe the thought (and my breath) and let it float by like a passing cloud.

Here’s to seeing the silver lining in every cloud.

All the best,

Donna

2 comments:

  1. My six words today was going to be ..."I've found my cloud's silver lining." (:>) So your post was interesting to me!

    Do have a Happy Saturday Donna!
    Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

    ReplyDelete

Followers

 

Balancing Act | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates